Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Dr. James Dobson

I listened to Dr. James Dobson lastnight on www.sosradio.net which I've started listening to recently. I haven't always agreed with Dr. Dobson, thinking that he never had kids like Billy & Johnny, and so what advice could he possibly give on raising difficult boys. However, lastnight, he talked about his son, and how his son failed out of college. The boy eventually wanted to return home, with no job, no goals etc., and the father turned him out. I have had to take this approach with my older sons, and there is nothing more difficult to do. With Dr. Dobson, it appears that the son returned to his father after about a year, asking to try again, to go back to college. The father gave him the chance to go semester by semester, not a commitment to the entire time, because as I've experienced, you pay for tuition, books, supplies, etc., and the kid drops and you're out the money you have paid, and the child thinks nothing of it because he didn't have to work for it, it wasn't anything out of his pocket or skin off of his neck.

As I've said before, once you have a child, it is your child until the end, life changes and life is never the same again. You never stop thinking about the child even when that child is long into adulthood, questioning your decisions about how you raised the child, and wondering what you could have, should have, would have done......... I know one thing for sure it all comes from the greatest love one can ever have, parent to a child........

No comments:

Post a Comment